VIP applications work with your ESI system to enhance your day-to-day communication, including the ability to control calls and organize voice mail and contacts.
Up-to-date list of ESI systems1 and phones compatible with VIP
- ESI Communications Servers (ESI-1000, ESI-600, ESI-200, ESI-100, ESI-50, ESI-50L)
- The following legacy systems: IVX X-Class, IVX E-Class Generation II, IP E-Class Generation II, IVX S-Class Generation II
- ESI 60 Business Phone
- ESI 40 Business Phone
- 48-Key Digital Feature Phone
- 48-Key IP Feature Phone II
- 24-Key Digital Feature Phone
- Legacy 48-Key Remote IP Feature Phone and 48-Key IP Feature Phone
All of ESI’s VIP PC applications work with the advanced capabilities of your ESI system to enhance your day-to-day communication — including the ability to control calls and organize voice mail and contacts.
VIP (Visually Integrated Phone) is available in an Outlook®-integrated edition and a standalone edition (SE), and comes in two “flavors”: the basic VIP and VIP Professional. Each configuration is licensed independently, with easy migration from VIP to VIP Professional. Each VIP 7 application lets you intelligently do the following from your PC’s screen:
- Manage your telephone calls
- Manage your voice mail
- Organize your contacts
- Log all your inbound and outbound calls
- Quickly program your ESI desktop phone
With VIP Professional, you also get:
- Enhanced, more informative user interface
- Secure text-messaging
- Auto-recording capability2
- Compatibility with Outlook-integrated and standalone versions of VIP PC Attendant Console, VIP ACD, and VIP Softphone
These independently licensed members of the VIP product family, all compatible with VIP Professional, add their own specific capabilities:
- VIP PC Attendant Console — Makes it easier for even the busiest attendant to handle call traffic efficiently.
- VIP ACD1 — Helps you improve the quality of your customer service when used with ESI systems with built-in ACD (automatic call distribution).
- VIP Softphone1 — Lets you use your PC to connect to your IP-enabled ESI Communications Server from nearly any location with a broadband connection.
Regardless of your selected configuration, VIP is easy to implement. It connects to your existing local area network (LAN) and is non-invasive. There’s no need to upgrade the LAN or install Microsoft®Exchange® — thus avoiding a costly and impractical solution for the small to mid-size business.
- Visually Integrated Phone — Integrates with most current ESI desktop phones (digital or IP3).
Different editions, so you can choose what best suits your working environment:
- Outlook-integrated edition — Works under Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, or 2007.
- Standalone edition (SE) — Doesn’t require Outlook but does import contacts from Outlook 2002, 2003, or 2007).
- Uses familiar Windows® interface — Reduces or eliminates need for training.
- Each edition available in two configuration — Basic VIP and the more fully featured VIP Professional.
- Main window — Provides provides ESI desktop phone functions on-screen. And the Quick Contact™ list makes it easy to dial those whom you call most often (see “Contact management”). Color-coded icons show you stations’ status, the same way your ESI desktop phone’s tri-color feature keys do. In VIP Professional, phone and memo icons give you quick access to editing contact information and either e-mailing your contacts or — if there are other users in-house of VIP Professional-compatible software4 — sending text messages to them. VIP Professional also adds a “sliding” volume control bar which lets you set the loudness of your handset or speakerphone, depending on which you’re using at the time.
- Customizable function buttons — The top four are fixed, but you can easily set up to 12 more (or 16 more on VIP Professional) so that each of your most frequently used functions is just a click away.
- Simplifies setup of conference calls — Build the list of participants on-screen in advance, saving time for all; then just click to start the conference call. On-screen Caller ID5 display makes it clear who’s connected and when.
- Provides TAPI support for use with not only Outlook (from either Outlook-integrated or standalone edition of VIP) but also other TAPI-compliant software for outbound dialing, “screen pops,” and more.
- Manages voice mail — View voice messages, live call recordings, and personal memos; prioritize each message by importance; and select voice mail messages for playback. (The Outlook-integrated edition shows voice messages, call recordings, and personal memos, as well as output from fax servers, in the same Outlook Inbox where your e-mail appears.)
Synchronizes automatically with ESI phone system’s voice mail — Regardless of whether you use the phone keys or the VIP interface to handle a voice message, the VIP voice mail display provides a continually updated indication of new, old, and deleted messages.
- Shows Caller ID5 data for each message — Just as ESI phones typically show Caller ID information, VIP displays that information on the PC screen.
- Recycle Bin — Keeps 106 of your most recently deleted voice messages — any of which you can restore quickly if you deleted it by accident.
- Plays back through phone — Some competing products cause all messages to be played back through the PC audio system. However, VIP uses the audio capabilities in the ESI phone, so the user can still pick up the handset to hear messages privately. This also keeps you from having to use a headset with the PC.
- Saves voice messages as .WAV files, but only when desired — Unlike less intelligent solutions, VIP gives you a choice of whether to save a message as a .WAV file. This spares your network the burden of moving a potentially large .WAV file every time someone in your office gets a message.
Text messaging — As an alternative communications method that’ exclusive to VIP Professional users, text-messaging allows quick, unobtrusive exchanges between employees and ends the need for intrusive background announcements and “whisper-paging.” There are even built-in, one-click Quick Responses to simplify and speed up communication between users. Moreover, this text-messaging is safe because it functions on only your ESI system, protecting your organization from the viruses, “spIM,” and other hazards of Internet-based instant messaging.
Auto-record — Select VIP Professional users may take advantage of this optional capability. With it enabled for you, you need never again miss recording an important call because the system records your every outside-line call, whether incoming or outgoing. Then, at the end of each call, VIP Professional gives you the choice (below) the choice of whether to keep the recording. It’s just that simple — and requires absolutely no third-party hardware.7
- Missed Calls Log — Shows when callers hang up without leaving a message, so you can call back even those who are reluctant to use voice mail.
Call Log — Tracks all calls coming into and from your station>
- Works with Outlook contacts — The standalone edition of VIP imports contacts from Outlook 2002, 2003, and 2007. The Outlook-integrated edition of VIP goes one step further, keeping all contacts in one convenient place within Outlook.
- Synchronizes with ESI phone system’s speed-dial lists (“Dexes”) — The phone system’s Esi-Dex lists are a valuable source of contact information. Whenever a contact is added to or deleted from the ESI system list, VIP automatically synchronizes with the change.8
- Quick Contact list — This integral part of the Call Control window provides easy access to frequent contacts. In the Outlook-integrated edition, preferred Outlook contacts can be dragged into the Quick Contact List for easy dialing and e-mailing.
Familiar Windows interface — Simplifies programming of ESI desktop phone station features. Manage external message notification, personal greetings, programmable feature keys, and more.
User-selectable “skins” — Users of VIP 3.15.0 (and higher) can apply various color-and-appearance schemes, or “skins,” to the VIP Call Window, to complement the user’s Windows “wallpaper” and other screen settings.9
VIP applications with additional capabilities
The VIP 7 applications mentioned below have all the features of VIP Professional as well as special capabilities all their own.
VIP PC Attendant Console
- Advanced call handling increases efficiency during periods of heavy incoming call traffic.
- Dtag-and-drop functionality enhances rapid call processing.
- Lets user organize and sort station icons by label color to easily locate employees and determine their availability.
- Essentially an ESI IP phone on your PC screen.
- If you’re a “road warrior,“ connects you right back to the ESI system back at the office.
- Audio is provided via PC (USB headset required).
- Comes in two forms for two different types of ACD users — VIP ACD Agent and VIP ACD Supervisor.
- Each displays on-screen agent status.
VIP ACD Supervisoralso:
- Displays real-time department performance.
- Provides built-in management reports.
- Allows you to create custom reports.7
- ESI Communications Server (ESI-1000, ESI-600, ESI-200, ESI-100, ESI-50, or ESI-50L).
- ESI 60 Business Phone (digital or IP), ESI 40 Business Phone (digital or IP), ESI 48-Key Feature Phone (digital or IP), or ESI 24-Key Digital Feature Phone. (Phone compatibility varies by system.)
- Highly recommended: Caller ID service from telephone provider. [It’s possible to use VIP without CID service, but many of the product’s most compelling features require it.]
Note: VIP Softphone1 also requires a USB headset [not included, and not available from ESI].
- One of the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 710.
- Microsoft Outlook (needed only either to import Outlook contacts or provide TAPI support to Outlook): Outlook 2002, 2003, or 2007.
- Intel® Pentium® II 400 MHz processor or better [VIP Softphone1].
- 128 MB RAM [VIP Softphone1 requires 256 MB]
- Hard drive free space: 15 MB for VIP software (25 MB for VIP ACD Supervisor due to database storage requirements).
1. IVX S-Class Generation II requires optional Network Services Processor (NSP), which must have been installed at purchase; the other systems shown all have built-in NSPs. VIP Softphone is compatible with only ESI Communications Servers (except ESI-50L). VIP ACD is not compatible with the ESI-50L Communications Server, IP E-Class Generation II, or IVX S-Class Generation II. IP E-Class Generation II supports only original VIP feature set, and only the Outlook-integrated version of VIP.
2. VIP-based auto-recording requires an optional license.
3. Not supported by the ESI-50L.
4. VIP Professional, VIP PC Attendant Console, VIP ACD, and VIP Softphone.
5. Requires Caller ID service from your telephone service provider.
6. Maximum quantity.
7. Creation of custom reports requires third-party report generation tool.
8. Remote Location List for use only with ESI’s Esi-Link multi-site VoIP product.
9. “Skins” feature is present in VIP 3.15.0 (and higher, which includes all forms of the standalone edition).
10. VIP software is compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista (but not 64-bit Windows XP).